I woke up this morning, about 6:30 a.m., so I could make it to my 8:40 PET scan appointment. I showered, got breakfast ready, drank TONS of water (as I was instructed to do) and nursed my baby for the last time for 24 hours (hopefully she survives without me that long!!) I was feeling rather scared about the whole procedure. I am sorry, but it's hard not to be when you're told that something radioactive is being pumped through your veins! I tried not to think about it too much and headed out the door. I was told to relax before the procedure to get the best imaging so I was taking deep breaths, and tried to push the scary thoughts out of my mind.
I arrived at McKay Dee Hospital, drove around and looked for the trailer I would be in for the next 3 hours. YES, a trailer. I was trying to picture it too and come to find out, it REALLY was a trailer. I guess they move the trailer from place to place (Maybe it's a really too expensive to have it in every hosp?? Not sure). I went inside and was met by two friendly techs and felt more at ease. I am so thankful for friendly, compassionate techs! They sat me in a chair in a dark room, gave me a barium "berry smoothie" and got right to work. They poked my arm, injected me with saline, then brought out a tube looking thing covered with metal. I guessed it was the radioactive stuff and I was right. They keep it in the metal so as not to expose the techs. They assured me that it was ok they were injecting me with this stuff. It was about the same radiation I would get in the tanning bed. I felt better about it. Then, they had me sit in a chair, motionless for 45 minutes!! They turned down the lights, drew the curtain and left me to my own thoughts. I was still feeling scared so I said a little prayer in my mind and went to my happy place. I thought about future crafts, I thought about my family and then my 4 full glasses of water I drank that morning started talking. I had to go SO bad, but I wasn't supposed to move. The minutes dragged on and my anxiety over my full bladder was increasing. How do I get the attention of the techs in the other side of the trailer? How am I supposed to go to the bathroom when I'm not even supposed to move!? I couldn't take it any longer, I knocked on the wall....no response. I took my flat hand to the wall and banged....no response. I banged harder and louder! Finally, the tech heard me and released me from my chair to relieve myself!!
Feeling much better...ahhhhh....I went back to the trailer and they led me to where the PET scan would be done. I looked at the machine and my anxiety levels increased. "I am going to have to go IN THERE???" I asked the tech. "Yep, that's it!"

It was a table that I would lay on goes in and out of a small tube looking thing. I felt claustrophobic and I normally don't have that problem!! I said another prayer in my mind and laid down. I was instructed to hold my arms above and head a lay PERFECTLY still for 25 minutes. My heart beat was extremely fast during the whole thing. I am not sure why I was so scared, it was just all so new to me. While I was being moved in and out of the tube, listening to the hum of the machine, I would pray, count and think of different crafts to do. I also thought of my friend Becky Anderson, who is fighting breast cancer right now. I thought, "if she can get a MRI and be brave, then I can do this and be brave!" This was the only way I felt better and was able to keep my sanity!
Finally, it was DONE and I said thanks to the tech and got the heck out of there as FAST as I could.
So, that was my PET scan experience. When I got home I was met by a loving hubby, who stayed home from work to watch the kiddos and a lively 4 year old who exclaimed, "MOMMYYYYYYY!" when I came through the door and a sweet mother who called right as I got home. I felt so much better. I am blessed to live in wonderful circumstances. Even though sometimes things are scary, I can come home and be welcomed by the friendly warmth of my home and family.




6 comments:
Nicely done, both the PET and the blog entry. I have a friend interning in a nuclear pharmacy who draws up those PET doses. I'll share your experience with her so she remembers where her work goes (and what the people who get it go through).
The metal sleeve the PET medium comes in is called a "pig" for unknown reasons. And, yes, PET equipment is very expensive, hence the mobile machine for smaller hospitals. You're getting great care! Hope that's reassuring.
You rock, Courtney. Keep it up!
Wow Courtney you are such an amazing and strong woman!!! I am praying for you daily and I hope everything is able to work out ok. Your family is soooooo stinkin cute! I cannot believe how much L.T. has grown up and cute Izzy is just beautiful!!!! :) Love ya girl!
You are brave and what cute kiddo's you have to come home to. Thanks for sharing your experience, you really are inspiring.
You are such a great writer and such an amazing woman! I am hoping it rubs off on me! You are in my pryers and thoughts I am so happy to read of your positive attitude and the fact that your cancer is treatable!!
courtney, you never cease to amaze me! i can't even image what your going through, and you have such a great attitude! you are a strong woman and so inspiring! you and your adorable little family are in my prayers.
I am so glad it all went well. I think you should get one wig, and the rest hats and scarfs, but that's just me. I think no matter what you do it will look great!
Post a Comment