Sunday, April 18, 2010

PET Scan Results

It was quite the week! Wednesday I had my chemo class. Thursday, I had a meeting with my chemo Dr. and Friday I had a Pulmonary test. Thank heavens there are so many willing people to watch my kiddos! Wednesday I went to my chemo class and got to see one of my favorite people. Her name is Lisa and she will be the one who gives me the chemo. There are some people who actually find what they were born to do in life and she is one of them. She was there the first time I had chemo and she is sweet, energetic, compassionate and very good at what she does. She calls herself "the cancer killer" and I am thankful to be in her very capable hands. So, she gave me the rundown of all the fun I will be able to participate in for the next couple of months. She told me all the side-effects of each chemotherapy drug and how to deal with them. I must say, the side-effects are scary. I just can't think about them too much or I get really scared.

The next day I went to my appointment with my chemo Dr. His name is Dr. Stinnett. This guy is great! He is also very compassionate and kind. He has studied my case for many hours I guess and has called the leading Dr. in germ cell tumors like mine to get his advice. The main point of interest that I learned from this meeting is the result of my PET scan. He read the results to me in medical mumbo jumbo that I did not understand. He then said, "So, your results are clean, there are no other tumors in your body." To say I felt relieved would be an understatement! I am so glad that there are no other tumors to worry about!

Friday was my pulmonary test. I got a pulmonary test because the chemotherapy is supposed to be rough on my lungs. So, they were trying to get a base-line and to make sure my lungs were healthy. So, I got into a small glass room that was big enough for one person, one skinny (ish) person I might add. I am not sure how anyone any bigger than me could fit in one. I did all kinds of breathing exercises and got very light headed. It seems that my lungs are healthy, which is great!

I have to say that times are tough, yes they sure are!! Yet, through this whole thing I have found that I can still be happy. Yes, this is a hard trial, but I still have so many things that are completely wonderful in my life. That's not to say I don't have my low times because I do. I struggle and cry like anyone would, but for the most part I am still happy. I believe that being happy is a choice. For me, choosing to be happy is survival. I have two kids that depend on me and if I'm down in the dumps then everyone is out of sorts. If I react in a positive way to my trials, then they will most likely respond the same way in this trial and in the other trials they have in their life. I remember the summer before junior high started I was enrolled in summer band. I had a teacher, Mr. Brimhall, that made us memorize inspirational quotes. One of them, I still remember and has become one of my favorite quotes.

"I am determined to be happy in whatever situation I may be.
For I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our disposition and not our circumstance."

-Martha Washington

I believe it and I believe it with all my heart. I am thankful for every thing that brings me joy and helps me choose happiness each day.

*My Savior, Jesus Christ, who knows just how I feel and how to comfort me.
*Faith and HOPE
*My family, who serve me more than I deserve.
*My friends, old and new!
*The beautiful world and SPRINGTIME!!
*MUSIC
* hobbies (especially crafts)
*many, many more things that I don't have the energy to type!

So tomorrow, I start chemo. I'll have 3 or 4 hours of time while the cancer killer runs through my veins so more updates to come. I even received a huge surprise yesterday that I'll share later! Wish me luck!


4 comments:

Carrilyne said...

Sending good luck and prayers your way! I feel so uplifted reading your blog even though you are going through cancer! You are truly amazing!

Liz said...

Good luck, we will keep you in our prayers! You are such a brave person! I am super impressed with your attitude during all of this. :D

Sheri Johnson said...

Your an inspiration Courtney! Hang in there.

Jen said...

Hope you know we love you and are praying for you!! Isn't it amazing what certain people can teach us - even old Mr. Brimhall from years and years ago! Oh the memories. : )

Much love!