Landon, oblivious to the danger, ran quickly to me with his usual noisy jabber. I almost felt like telling him to shush, as if we'd need to to whisper or else the bumblebee would figure out we were there and attack. Landon saw it and wanted a closer look but I quickly stopped him. Then I saw the worried look on his face like this was scary or something. I've been trying to keep him from being scared over silly things, like the dark or loud noises. This silly bumble bee was no different (even though I was very nervous). I put on my relaxed, happy face and said, "It's all right, it's just a bug, we'll get it out." He calmed down. We went to the other room to form our plan of attack. Later my husband asked, "Why didn't you just swat it and throw it in the toilet?" Yes, that would be the easy, obvious thing to do, but I am not into killing bugs. So, my plan was to get a tupperware, trap him, slide a file folder under it and toss him outside.
Sometimes things don't go EXACTLY as planned.
The bumble bee was still lying on the floor trying to fly again. Major, my dog, had already dubbed this bug as prey and was tyring to jump on it and eat it. She got stung so now she just stood there looking at it. I tip-toed over to it once again, my heart pounding thinking of all the scary outcomes of my plan. The low, deafening buzz was ringing through my ears increasing the tightness in my shoulders. I lifted the tupperware, held my breath.....and trapped the awful yellow and black bumblebee with the RED bum, yes RED. Landon and I both sighed as we realized the first part of our plan was a success. Major sighed through her nose as she realized this bumble bee would not be her snack. Now, it was time to slide the folder under the tupperware so it was trapped from all angles. Slowly, inch by inch, the folder went under. The bumble-bee screamed with protest at my actions and flied furiously in the small tupperware making a small opening just big enough for him to....Escape!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK, I screamed! I just knew it was chasing us! In a split second I was on my feet, had LT in my arms and we were running for safety. Still screaming and Landon crying, I ran as fast as I could. To my complete horror, the next thing I knew LT and I were motionless and flat on our faces on the kitchen floor not three feet from where we started. I had slipped on LT's blanky. For a split second while we were both on the ground listening to the angry bee, I could just picture it chasing after us with torrential rage so I scrambled to get us up and out of danger's way.
Breathing hard, we waited in safety until the commotion the bee made had died down. LT's eyes were as big as saucers as he clung to me and his blankie. So much for trying to make my son believe bumble bees were not scary.
I was smart this time and instructed LT to sit on the couch as mommy took care of business. He willingly sat motionless, still clinging to his blankie. I gathered up my courage and tried again and this time, our plan was successful. I opened the door and FLUNG the bee away. I could almost see the bee flipping me off as he flew away into the sky.
And so, the adventures continue in the Child household...hopefully the next one will not take years off my life like this one did.




6 comments:
OH MY WORD...THAT IS HILARIOUS! You seriously just made my day with this story Courtney. Really, I am STILL laughing. And since Ben happens to be home while I'm blogging, he is laughing too. Poor LT is going to be traumatized for life. I'll be honest, that bee would have been bee-guts at my house.
Oh mylanta! What a hilarious story...I could picture the whole drama perfectly!
Love you!
oh Courtney! this is funny! hehe.
now i have a song imn my head that will probably be there all day. ready.....
iiiiiiiiiiii'm bringing home a baby bumblebee, won't my mommy be so proud of me? ...
Seriously so funny! I could imagine the whole thing!! It is funny how small little things such as a bumble scare us huh?! I am the same way!!
Your poor son and his Buzzaphobia Mom!
Hi how have you been since HS? Looks like you have an adorable family, and what a funny story!!
Well It was fun to find your blog and see how you are doing, keep in touch.
Post a Comment