Thursday, June 24, 2010

Done and DONE!

Hi everyone! Gosh, all I can say is SORRY! I totally just deserted my blog. My last treatment week was very difficult and the recovery was even worse. It's been a couple of weeks, almost three weeks since my last treatment and I am finally feeling pretty good and am living life pretty normally now. I can't tell you how awesome it is to have it over with. That was a nasty, nasty time, but some great things have come out of it. I will tell you about one of the good things.

When I moved into my new ward, I became Becky Anderson's visiting teacher. I was excited because she was a person that I was wanting to get to know. I found out that she had a lump removed from her breast and was having it biopsied. With my history of cancer, I wanted to call her and find the update and maybe provide some comfort. I found out in that conversation that she found out her lump was cancerous and she was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer. I tried to provide some comfort and told her what chemo was like. She said she was thankful for that conversation and that I helped her a lot. I was glad I could help her!! She was thrown into a world of uncertainty, and was going to go through a lot of scary stuff. It's amazing how alone you can feel when dealing with cancer. Thankfully, she has some wonderful friends and family. Her friend Denise and her sister Brenda wanted to help her raise funds for her mounting medical bills and wanted to help Becky feel love and supported. I believe what they came up with was truly inspiration from God. They thought of "Anything For a Friend".
Anything For a Friend is an avenue for families, friends and community of someone who is dealing with a personal tragedy to band together and show support. Whenever I know someone who has something bad happen to them, I want to help them, but I usually have NO idea what would be helpful. Anything For a Friend solves that problem! So Denise and Brenda put together a HUGE event complete with a Spaghetti dinner, live and silent auctions, a kids corner and a bake sale for Becky and her family. There was a HUGE turnout and it was a beautiful evening.

That night, Becky pulled me up on stage and announced that I would be THE NEXT RECIPIENT OF AN ANYTHING FOR A FRIEND EVENT! I was deeply touched that someone would even think about doing something like this for me and my family. My event, on July 31st is a 5K, Pancake Breakfast, Farmer's Market, Live and Silent Auction, Kid's Carnival, and lots of other activities. As time has passed I become more and more humbled as I see the generosity of so many people. There is an amazing committee that meets every other week and work together to put together this HUGE event. There are people that I don't even know that are participating. I am touched almost everyday as I hear about someone else who is doing "such and such" for the event. There are SO many good people out there, seriously. I only hope that I can be deserving of such a huge labor of love. Seriously! Put yourself in my position...would it be easy to accept that your family, friends and a lot of people you don't know are doing so much for you? I only hope that I can pay it forward somehow. I plan on putting an event together for someone, I just don't know who yet.

So, thank you, my angelic friends and family who are helping me and my family. This is a life changing event for me. It is one of the brightest moments of my life and it's amazing that it is a result of the darkest moments of my life.

If you want to know more about Anything For a Friend, here is the link

www.anythingforafriend.com

It's an amazing organization!!

3 comments:

Sheri Johnson said...

We love you Courtney!!

Troy Westerberg said...

I'm proud of you, Courtney. I'm proud of you for surviving a third go-round with Cancer. I'm proud of you for baring two beautiful children (with the Cancer thrown into the mix).

I'm proud of you for getting involved with a community of fellow survivors. I'm proud of you for befriending other people who have similar experiences.

I'm proud of you for finishing chemo, again.

You rock and I love you, Cousin!

Troy

Troy Westerberg said...

I lapsed into Cache Valley speak for a minute. That's 'bearing' not 'baring'. Say them out loud, you'll laugh, maybe.